Wednesday, July 15, 2009

All Star.

Last night, Chris watched (and slept through most of) the All-Star Game while I cooked dinner. I had planned the menu in advance not realizing it was Bastille Day...hence the lack of any French yumminess. Since it was a sports night, I opted for sandwiches, but not just any sandwich. Steak sandwiches with caramelized onions! To balance the heaviness of the sandwich, I decided on a side of salad...a bread salad. Whoops. Oh well, both were still delicious.



Each recipe comes from my new found food obsession, smitten kitchen. SK's Summer's Last Hurrah Panzanella recipe can be found here. I followed it pretty closely, but omitted the capers because I didn't have any and I forgot the garlic for the vinaigrette. Here's a tip: don't forget the garlic. The recipe for the Steak Sandwich is here. Her pictures obviously do the sandwich more justice. It was quite scrumptious...especially the spread, which I liberally applied to both halves of the bread. Next time I'll probably toast the bread a bit. Otherwise, it was a home run in my book (get it...home run. You know, because it was the All-Star Game).

The boy approved! And the AL won again. So, there are still some things over which I have no control.

BTW...did everyone else like the POTUS even more after watching him in the booth with Tim and Joe? I definitely would want to grab a beer with this President.


Toasting the bread cubes for the panzanella.


Love the summer colors.


The steaks generously seasoned with salt and pepper.


One side of searing down...on to the next.


Starting to caramelize the onions.


Prepping the bread with lots o' spread.


Onions caramelized.


May be a little rare for some but not for me.


Now that's a sandwich.

3 comments:

  1. i JUST ate dinner and looking at this is making me hungry all over again.

    Mr. President was super cute throwing out the pitch, but he needs to lose those dorky dad jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious!! How long did you sear the steaks for? They look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara...I seared for probably two minutes on each side, but after that I followed the recipe word for word because I rarely cook meat just right.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin