Monday, June 29, 2009

Pride.

When I was a freshman in high school, I learned that one of my dearest uncles was dying of AIDS and that he was gay. He had been living with AIDS for ten years and with his homosexuality his whole life, yet he never told his family until he was sick. He was raised in a strong Catholic family, and I know that largely influenced his decision. It broke my heart to see that a man I loved so dearly felt the needed to hide such a large part of himself from us. I wish he would have known for all those years that none of us could have loved him any less because regardless of being gay or straight, he was still my Uncle Mark. Thankfully, he died knowing that to be true.

I went to watch the Pride Parade yesterday with my mother-in-law. As soon as it started I was overcome with emotion. It made my heart happy to know that even though my uncle (like countless others) may not have always had the support of his family, he had an amazing community of friends who loved and cherished him as he was. I am proud to live in a city that continually embraces those that may be shunned in other places (I just wish the state as a whole would get with the program). The parade was beautiful and inspiring. And while there is still along journey ahead, I couldn't help but feel the pride yesterday.









More photos here.*

* Photos made possible by multiple generous gifts from my kick ass brother. Are you happy now, Jer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin