Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Can't. Hardly. Wait.

I've been obsessed with ancient civilizations since the day I was introduced to them in an art history class about 13 years ago. I was mesmerized by the way the Greeks, the Romans and the Egyptians were so civilized, so organized, so specialized and so, well, modern...minus of course the prevalence of slavery and gender inequality and racism, etc. Regardless, I was amazed that these cutltures enjoyed leisure time. They didn't have electricity or Google or iPhones or tractors or automobiles, but they found time to cultivate and enjoy music, theater and the visual arts...3,000 years ago! I still can't quite wrap my brain around it.


Photo: Andreas F. Voegelin, Antikenmuseum Basel and Sammlung Ludwig
.

So that should give you some insight into why I am DYING to see the Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of Pharoahs exhibit opening at the DeYoung Museum this Saturday. It's been 30 years since the exhibit was last in San Francisco and over 3,000 years since Tut was king. 3,000 years! See, still can't wrap my brain around the fact that I'll be looking at artifacts that old. If you are in San Francisco between June 27, 2009 - March 28, 2010, be sure to witness what is most likely a once in a life time opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin