Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Iran.

I don't know how to put into words what I feel about the situation in Iran. I am glued to Andrew Sullivan's constant coverage at the Daily Dish. I cried as I read coverage of today's activities, yet I am incredibly inspired by the Iranians that continue to fight daily, risky life and limb, for the very rights I take for granted daily. I don't think I could ever be that strong.

My first love's family moved from Iran when he was 6 years old. I pray for his family members that are still in Iran and for all Iranians. I hope that when all is said and done, the will of the people prevails. It will be democracy in its purest form.

Whenever something happens in the world that seems to shake me to my very core, I'm reminded of a quote from my favorite short story author, Andre Dubus. In his short story, Rose, he wrote:

"We like to believe that in this last quarter of the century, we know and are untouched by everything; yet it takes only a very small jolt, at the right time, to knock us off balance for the rest of our lives."

Iran has been jolted. I have been jolted. I only hope that when we find our balance again, we are all better because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin