Monday, June 22, 2009

The Longest Blog Entry Ever...My Wedding Stuff!

Disclaimer: I have only been married 9 months so my excitement about all my wedding stuff shouldn't cause you to vomit a little in your mouth. The key word here of course is shouldn't.

Chris and I got married on September 12, 2008 at San Francisco City Hall. We kept it small with about 20 guests. And I think the most wonderful part about that day (besides marrying the man I love in front of friends and family, blah, blah, blah) was that we were able to witness marriage equality first hand as our ceremony was sandwiched in between a gay couple and a lesbian couple. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get to see that again in California.

Chris and Jess at SF City Hall
The most amazing venue ever! Photography by
Ellie Grover.


On to the kitsch! I was inspired by the old glamour qualities of City Hall and opted for a theme that felt classy with a retro modern twist (And yes, I opted for retro modern before I started watching Mad Men because I am that in front of the trends). Our colors ended up being a chocolate brown and chartruese. Below are our wedding invitations. I used inserts for various information because we had a small ceremony and a larger reception so not all guests were getting the same info. The inserts were each covered with a different design inspired by mid-century modern wall paper.



The style of our invitations translated into our wedding day attire.


(Me - dress by Badgley Mischka, shoes by Elie Tahari, hair piece from
blithe bride on esty, flowers by Natalie Bowen; Him - suit by Ted Baker, dress shirt by Kenneth Cole, tie by DKNY, shoes by ALDO; Us - looking adorable at the 22 Hayes bus stop at Alamo Square; Photography - Ellie Grover).

Our reception was held the next night at Foreign Cinema. We decided on Foreign Cinema because a) their food is ridiculous and b) the space we used was actually a gallery which couldn't have been more perfect. The theme from our invitations was carried over to our table numbers, place cards and programs.


Photography by Ellie Grover.

The finally component to all this was the dreaded favor. We (which implies that the husband even had a say in any of this...right) went back and forth about whether or not we should give one. Finally we opted for something that was actually useful and represented us and our city. We decided on a refrigerator magnet (that sounds so incredibly lame when I say it like that) with a copy of part of a painting Chris did of San Francisco.



So, that's our wedding in a nutshell. It was amazing and fun to design all of my own stuff for the wedding (including the centerpieces), but it was soooo much work. It took two full days of the honeymoon before I was finally able to relax. Still, when something that important happens in your life, it's nice to know that you touched just about every little stupid ribbon and embossed favor envelope involved in it.

I promise to not talk about wedding details anymore after September 12, 2009. Well, unless I'm provoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin