Monday, June 22, 2009

Old Stuff the Boss Made Me Do.

Over the course of the past few years, I'd like to think I've played a key role in Chris' development as in artist. In other words, I've edited lots of crap for him and helped to make his shows look a hell of a lot better than they word otherwise (ask his parents..I'm quoting them word for word ). As much as I bitch and moan about it, I secretly love it because I get to design some fun stuff I wouldn't have the opportunity to do otherwise. And I get to do it for free! That is totally the best part. Here are some of my favorite things that I've had the chance to design:

Tenderloin Collective - Poster
Chris worked with artists in the Tenderloin (AKA gritty area in SF) to put on a performance of artists, musicians and poets in Golden Gate Park. The purpose was to give residents of SF exposure to artists they might not otherwise see or hear. He built a mobile stage on which the artists could perform. The poster plays off of that. More images and info about the project can be found here.



Artist of Now - handout and poster
Chris is not shy and does not shy away from blatant self promotion. Or at least he's not afraid of making fun of it. For another public performance he built a giant peacock inspired contraption to wear that implied that he was the next big thing in the art world. He also handed out flyers with coupons to passersby to make sure they didn't miss out on the action.

Playing off of this theme of self promotion, we decided to make a poster that would quickly and easily identify him as the next big thing. We thought about what company had created a brand that was essentially cool across all groups of people. We decided to follow Apple's lead...I'm still hoping that we will one day wheatpaste these all around the city. I think it would be hilarious.


More images from this performance can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin