Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Overindulged.

Last week, I spotted a couple of recipes on Serious Eats that I could not wait to make considering the current bounty of peaches and zucchini at the local farmers markets. But since the husband is rarely around thanks to his never ending deadlines, I had to wait til his utter exhaustion forced a night at home for me to make some yummy food.

The first thing I made was this divine Peach Caprese Salad using a mix of white and regular peaches. The combination of the acid from the balsamic vinegar and the juicy goodness of the peaches was delightful. I might even go as far as saying I enjoyed this more than the basic caprese salads I've been devouring all tomato season. That's near sacrilege in the land of the heirloom. (By the way, this photograph isn't mine. We scarfed our salad down before I realized I hadn't taken a picture.)


Image via Serious Eats.

Next, I made this delicious recipe comprised of zucchini, gorgonzola and farfalle pasta. I understand some people get fearful around a sauce made from gorgonzola (I am not one of those people...I love all cheese especially those deliciousthat are stinky and blue), but fear not my friends. The cheese's bold flavor is mellowed out in the process and becomes something buttery and nutty and seriously tasty.


Chopped shallots and celery. The zucchini was julienned rather than shredded.


Sauteing the celery and shallots.


Zucchini added to the saute.


The gorgonzola begins to melt.


Pasta added.


Served with some fresh parmesan, cracked pepper and parsley.

I think this is going to be my last foray into pasta dinners for a while. Time to get back to plates full of lean proteins and vegetables. All of my free time lately has been consumed by this blog since my days are spent at my 9-5. My workout routine (and waistline) has suffered. Sadly, I think the last time I ran was the post where I officially declared myself a runner. I'm such a fraud. So, it's time to exercise more, indulge less and manage my time better, somehow. If only there was a way to blog and exercise at the same time. Internet access and keyboards on the treadmill? You saw that here first. How long do we give it before we see it in the gym?

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! That top recipe looks so easy and fresh. We buy peaches every week and have our own basil, so maybe tonight! Great photos of that pasta dish. Mmm.. sauteed eats and gorgonzola, I don't imagine it gets any better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by! I think I'm going to have this caprese salad for dinner again tonight. I cannot stop thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that looks so yummy! I may try to make this, but I'm not a very good cook. Excuse me...my stomach is growling.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin