Thursday, October 15, 2009

Green Arrow.



Chris and I both grew up with a strong appreciation for music. Ok, his appreciation is actually an obsession for bands you've probably never heard of, but concerts (when we have the time and can find a musician we agree on) are one of our favorite things to do together.

Music takes me back immediately to a certain place in time. When Chris and I started dating, so much of the music I held dear to my heart already had a memory attached. Somehow we both missed the Yo La Tengo boat in our life before each other and were lucky enough to discover this beautiful band together.

When I hear this song, I instantly see us in the loft he lived in when he first moved to San Francisco. I was still living in San Diego at the time and had visited for the weekend. It was probably a Saturday night and we sat down together at the dinner table in the vast, spare room to share a meal together while it rained outside. We listened to I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One and this song came on. It was the perfect song at the perfect moment...a song full of heart-breaking hope and melancholic quiet at a time when our existence was spent miles apart.

P.S. If you are a fan, Yo La Tengo is playing a small (meaning tiny) show at Aquarius Records this Sunday at 1pm before they head to the Treasure Island festival. We will be there.

P.P.S. This song is now on repeat in my iTunes. Obsessed.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE yo la tengo.
    I also missed the original boat and hopped a ferry quickly about two years ago. very strange considering I even worked at a record shop 6 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - I am a big fan of Yo La Tengo. I bet they are amazing live. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful song... I may just end up playing it on repeat too.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin