Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Don't Pollute.


Photograph by Chris Jordan.

I'm not one to be preachy or political. I usually keep my opinions to myself (unless I'm speaking with someone with the same point of view) since I hate confrontation. But if you don't recycle, please start because I don't think I've ever seen a more compelling reason to begin.

If you are unsure of what you are looking at, this is a photograph of the skeleton of an albatross chick taken on Midway Atoll, a desolate island cluster in the North Pacific. Thinking of it as food, their parents bring back pieces of plastic from polluted ocean to feed to the chicks. Tens of thousands of chicks die each year on Midway due to chocking, toxicity and starvation. This image shows the contents of a dead chick's stomach, untouched and unaltered.

These birds were found on a remote marine sanctuary 2,000 miles away from the nearest continent and yet their deaths are undoubtedly caused by man.

To see more photographs Chris Jordan took on the Midway Atoll, visit his website here. Also, be sure to visit the Journey to Midway blog.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is so sad and disturbing. I imagine this will stick with the viewer for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin